Zoo Tycoon Community Download Directory
September 25, 2018, 04:14:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: walkable size?  (Read 1691 times)
dr rick
Guest Admin

« on: March 12, 2015, 01:15:35 AM »

I have made a 2x2 game tile (4x4 designer tile) flat object. It occurred to me that I could, in principle, make it walkable. However, I can't test this as my second game disk has vanished somewhere into the chaos that is my house (I know which cubic metre it is in, so this is a purely temporary state of affairs - the original game disk is somewhere in the house too, but unfortunately I know only which 100 cubic metres that one is in... )

However, this brings me to my question... Is there any maximum size of object which can be made walkable?
And sub-questions...
  • Presumably there comes a point where the person (or animal) walks behind something that is supposed to be flat on the ground...
  • Presumably arches are subject to the same issue but you can put the 'back' leg far enough away from the path to minimise or avoid graphics issues (although presumably an animal won't follow the path and could walk 'through/behind' that leg even though it is, in fact 'in front' of it...). Has anyone made a really big arch successfully?

Dr Rick

How does that work?
Jay
Webmaster

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 02:20:51 AM »

I have not done experimenting with flat objects other than paths. I suspect that a flat object should not be made walkable, since part of the guests would probably disappear beneath the object halfway across the tile, if not sooner. I suspect ZT would believe the image was similar to branches of a tree rather than something guests can walk on. Guests can only walk on top of paths, which are 1 tile in size. Walkable objects include arches, observation areas, and short, quarter tile foliage. For short, quarter tile foliage, guests would go between the foliage. For arches and observation areas, guests would go under them. There probably is no limit to the size of arches and observation areas other than the resolution of one's screen. To avoid graphic issues, arches and observation areas should be high above the path and the arch legs should be away from the path. It is true that animals could walk through the legs of an arch. But one can put exhibit curbs or other exhibit fences around part of the legs to prevent animals from going through the legs. That is the approach I used for the grass tunnels.
dr rick
Guest Admin

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 03:32:37 AM »

i think i'll maybe conduct some experiments when i find my disk...

Dr Rick

How does that work?
fern
Webmaster

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 07:24:49 AM »

Brandi created 1 tile flat state flags that were walkable and guests walk through them but they do partially disappear when they do. They are in her US state packs.
As for arches it is best to put terrain rather than path under the struts otherwise guests will walk through the supposed solid parts. you place the path only where you want them to go.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 07:28:46 AM by fern » Logged
dr rick
Guest Admin

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 03:00:14 PM »

ok, thanks, that's useful as well 

Dr Rick

How does that work?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: