Zoo Tycoon Community Download Directory
June 24, 2018, 05:11:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baby sprites won't show.  (Read 529 times)
Enemy post

« on: February 27, 2018, 12:31:18 AM »

I made shrunken versions of the same custom sprites I used for the adult version of an animal, but for some reason the babies are identical to the adults. Does anyone know why this is happening? Also, Zoo Tycoon crashed when I tried setting the adults to also use the baby sprites.

Here's the animal, if it'll help. I got the sprites from Star Wars:Galactic Battlegrounds.
Jay
Webmaster

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 02:21:41 AM »

That link didn't download the animal directly for me, but I managed to get the animal. The reason the young are showing as adults in ZT is because the young ".ani" files (such as animals/ef11409f/y/stand/stand.ani) have "dir2 =m" instead of "dir2=y". As for ZT crashing for you, you did not say how you tried setting the adults to use the baby sprites. So I cannot say why ZT crashed for you. If you tried something like changing "DefaultSubtype = m" to "DefaultSubtype = y" in the ".uca", that could cause problems unless other changes are also made. But if you tried changing "f = animals/EF11409F/m" and "m = animals/EF11409F/m" to "f = animals/EF11409F/y" and "m = animals/EF11409F/y" in the ".uca", I would have expected that to not crash ZT. For the download, it did not crash ZT for me, at least in my limited testing. There are other problems, inefficiencies, and inconsistencies in the ".ztd", but none I noticed should cause ZT to crash.
Enemy post

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 01:19:24 PM »

Thanks! The crash shouldn't happen anymore either, I had just changed the AnimPath section to only call on the young. Anyway, the walker babies work now.

Here's the improved version of the AT-ST. If you don't mind, do you have any advice before I release it on Zoo Tek? Checkuca doesn't see anything wrong.
Jay
Webmaster

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 02:07:36 AM »

The crash shouldn't happen anymore either, I had just changed the AnimPath section to only call on the young.

Changing the [AnimPath] section to only call on the young should not cause ZT to crash.

do you have any advice before I release it on Zoo Tek? Checkuca doesn't see anything wrong.

Although I do not notice any problems that can cause ZT to crash (assuming the Rampage settings and lack of bRattle do not cause ZT crashes), there are some inefficiencies, inconsistencies, and minor things.

All of the m and y animation directories have 5 ".pal" files, so animals/ef11409f/grizzly.pal can be deleted from the ".ztd".

The icgrizzl, lsmgrizz, and plgrizzl directories have n.pal files, so the icgrizzl.pal, lsmgrizz.pal, and plgrizzl.pal files can be deleted from the ".ztd".

The m/headwag/e animation looks the same as the m/headwag/se animation, rather than facing east.

The lickpaw and roar animations look the same. Since lick_paw is not used in any of the behavior sets and since lick_paw is not an action that is built into ZT's zoo.exe program, the two "lick_paw = lickpaw" lines can be deleted from the ".uca", and the m/lickpaw and y/lickpaw directories can be deleted from the ".ztd".

Some of the animation speeds are inconsistent within some of the animation directories. For example, the animation speed for m/eat/e is 200 ms while the animation speed for the other 4 views in the m/eat directory are 250 ms. There are other animation directories as well that have 1 view's animation speed different than the animation speed for the other 4 views in the same directory.

The ".uca" does not have all of the lines that a Rampage animal has. So the "cRampageChance = 10", "cRampageTimeMax = 30", and "cRampageTimeMin = 15" lines should be deleted from the ".uca".

The "//Reserved for new prey animals" comment line can be deleted from the ".uca".

This "animal" does not swim or go in a tank. So the "cBreathIncrement = 0", "cBreathThreshold = 0", "cDepth = 0", "cDepthMax = 0", "cDepthMin = 0", "cEnterLandChance = 0", "cEnterTankChance = 0", "cEnterWaterChance = 0", "cExtremelyMurkyWaterChange = 0", "cExtremelyMurkyWaterThreshold = 0", "cLandNeeded = 0", "cMurkyWaterChange = 0", "cMurkyWaterThreshold = 0", "cSalinityChange = 0", "cSalinityHealthChange = 0", "cVeryMurkyWaterChange = 0", "cVeryMurkyWaterThreshold = 0", and "cWaterNeeded = 0" lines can be deleted from the ".uca". Similarly, the "water_idle = swim" lines can be deleted from the [m/Animations] and [y/Animations] sections of the ".uca", and the m/watidle and y/watidle directories can be deleted from the ".ztd". Also, the [AmbientAnimsWater] section can be deleted from the ".uca", including the 3 lines in that section.

This "animal" does not lay eggs, so the "cTimeToHatch = 0" line can be deleted from the ".uca".

I probably would have set cGenus in the ".uca" to 5134 (Monster) instead of to 5102 (Bear).

In order to have ZT expansion packs show the tooltip for the preferred foliage for the adult female "animal", and since "cPrefIconID = 7024" is in the [m/Characteristics/Integers] section, the following section should be added to the ".uca":
[f/Characteristics/Integers]
cPrefIconID = 7024

ZT animals always have a [y/Characteristics/Integers] section containing at least settings for cAttractiveness, cChaseAnimalChance, and cIsJumper. In addition, the section should also contain a cPrefIconID setting so that the ZT expansion packs show the tooltip for the preferred foliage for the young "animal". Assuming you want the young to have the same attractiveness as the adult male, the following section should be added to the ".uca":
[y/Characteristics/Integers]
cAttractiveness = 35
cChaseAnimalChance = 15
cIsJumper = 0
cPrefIconID = 7024

I assume the "v = 11409" and "v = 20" lines were added to the [cCompatibleAnimals] section of the ".uca" in an attempt to have the "animal" not dislike itself. That would not work. But since the cFamily number and cGenus number are not in the [cCompatibleAnimals] section with negative values, there is no need to do anything to counter negative values. So the "v = 11409" and "v = 20" lines can be deleted from the [cCompatibleAnimals] section.

The [cCompatibleAnimals] section in the ".uca" contains pairs of lines. When the second line of a pair of lines is "v = 0", then the pair of lines can be deleted from the ".uca". For example, the following pair of lines can be deleted, as well as a number of other line pairs (ie, the [cCompatibleAnimals] section should be empty for this "animal"):
v = 5200
v = 0

The [cSuitableObjects] section in the ".uca" contains pairs of lines. When the second line of a pair of lines is "v = 0", then the pair of lines can be deleted from the ".uca". For example, the following pair of lines can be deleted, as well as a number of other line pairs:
v = 9402
v = 0

The [cCompatibleTerrain] section in the ".uca" contains pairs of lines. When the second line of a pair of lines is "v = 0", then the pair of lines can be deleted from the ".uca". But be careful not to delete a pair of lines if it is the first line of the pair that is "v = 0", since that represents grass terrain. So the first 2 lines of this [cCompatibleTerrain] section should remain, but the following pair of lines can be deleted, as well as some other line pairs:
v = 1
v = 0

The Hidden action name is not used in any behavior sets and is not an action name inside ZT's zoo.exe. So the "Hidden = Hidden" line can be deleted from the [m/Animations] and [y/Animations] sections of the ".uca", and the m/hidden directory can be deleted from the ".ztd".

The head_ground, hind_noise, hind_walk, jerk_head, lie_paw, lie_roll, lie_rub, lie_rubground, lie_scratch, lie_submissive, look_left, look_right, run_noise, scratch_ground, sit_back, sit_idle, sit_noise, sit_paw, sit_rub, sit_scratch, swing_paw, and walk_noise action names are not used in any behivor sets and are not action names inside ZT's zoo.exe. So the "head_ground = headgrnd", "hind_noise = hindnois", "hind_walk = hindwalk", "jerk_head = headjerk", "lie_paw = liepaw", "lie_roll = lieroll", "lie_rub = lierub", "lie_rubground = grndrub", "lie_scratch = liescrch", "lie_submissive = liesub", "look_left = lookl", "look_right = lookr", "run_noise = noisrun", "scratch_ground = scrhgrnd", "sit_back = sitback", "sit_idle = sitidle", "sit_noise = sitnois", "sit_paw = sitpaw", "sit_rub = sitrub", "sit_scratch = sitscrch", "swing_paw = paw", and "walk_noise = noiswalk" lines can be deleted from the [m/Animations] and [y/Animations] sections of the ".uca".

The behavior sets use stand_2legs and the Animations sections have "stand_2legs = hindstnd", but there is no hindstnd animation in the ".ztd". So I would change "stand_2legs = hindstnd" to "stand_2legs = stand" in the [m/Animations] and [y/Animations] sections of the ".uca" (or remove the "stand_2legs = hindstnd", "f = fPlay(stand_2legs)", and "f = fPlayReverse(stand_2legs)" lines).

Since cIsJumper is set to 0 and since the jump_high action name is not used in any behavior sets, the "jump_high = highjump" lines can be deleted from the [m/Animations] and [y/Animations] sections of the ".uca".

If you want ZT to play a sound when the "animal" is picked up or put down, you can add the following lines to the [Sounds] section in the ".uca":
pickupsound =animals/ef11409f/ATST-ChinGuns.wav
pickupsound = 1300
placesound = animals/ef11409f/ATST-ChinGuns.wav
placesound = 1300

If you feel the sound is not loud enough in ZT, you can change "1300" to a lower number in the [Sounds] section of the ".uca".

The [f/iCharacteristics/Integers] and [y/iCharacteristics/Integers] sections are not needed in a ".uca", so those sections can be deleted.

The cTheString setting in the [1033] section of a ".uca" is usually the same as the cName setting but preceded with "the ". So I would change "cTheString = the Scout Walker" to "cTheString = the AT-ST".

The "f = fPlayWithSound(roar,ATST-Chi)" can be deleted from the [m\BehaviorSet\bCalm] section of the ".uca" because there should not be lines after a fPlaySetProb line in a section.

Normally ".uca" files have a [m\BehaviorSet\bRattle] section for when an animal is in a box. So I would add the following lines to the end of the ".uca":
[m\BehaviorSet\bRattle]
f = fPlayWithSound(box_used,placesound)

In 1033.txt, there are a lot of spaces between the sentence starting with "AT-STs were commonly" and the sentence before it. All but 1 of those spaces can be deleted. There are also a lot of spaces between "Thanks Wookieepedia." and the sentence before it. Those spaces can be deleted and "Thanks Wookieepedia." can be put into a new paragraph.

The atst-chinguns.wav sound file is 16 bit and stereo (2 channels). It could be one-fourth the size by having it be 8 bit and mono (1 channel). The free and open source program Audacity can be used to change sound files.

To zip things into ".ztd" and ".zip" files, I use the free and open source program 7-zip, followed by a shrink program. ZKL gives more information on those:
http://www.lunamanar.com/zklounge/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1983
Enemy post

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 02:59:49 PM »

Wow, thanks for the review! I'll post it then after I take care of these issues.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: