• Welcome to Zoo Tycoon Community Download Directory.

List of 2-letter designer abbreviations

Started by Jay, October 25, 2013, 02:55:36 AM

Jay

For ZT objects, sometimes designers create their own 8-character internal name instead of using APE to create one (which is often called an APE ID). That is especially common for paths, but has been done for other objects as well. Sometimes it has to be done that way, such as for toys, since ZT has problems understanding internal names for toys if the internal name has numbers in it (which APE IDs usually do). In order to reduce the chance of a conflict, some designers include in this internal name a 2-letter abbreviation of their designer name. For paths, this is usually included at the start of the internal name; for other objects, it could be at the end of the internal name. Here is a list of some of the 2-letter abbreviations that have been used. If you design something and create your own 8-character internal name, add your 2-letter abbreviation to this topic so that others will know to use a different 2-letter abbreviation for their own objects. Conflicts might still occur, but this approach will reduce the chance of conflicts. It is also possible to use a 3-letter abbreviation. That will only give 5 characters for the rest of the internal name instead of 6 characters, but it is okay to do that.

ch - Cricket
drr - dr rick
fn - Fern
gc - genkicoll
gs - Goosifer/Eric
jy - Jay
px - particle
rd - Rinding FT
tm - eradani
tz - Taz
yr - Yellowrose

zk - The very large amount of angled animations start with "zk". So avoid starting any other internal name with "zk".

dr rick

i have not yet done this although i did get very close once!!

does it absolutely have to be (functionally) 2 letters? the reason for asking is that, for preference, i'd prefer drr to match my moniker...
Dr Rick<br /><br />How does that work?

Jay

Yes, it can be 3 letters. That will only give you 5 characters for the rest of the internal name instead of 6 characters, but it is okay to do that.

Cricket

I use my 2 initials, ch, when I create the internal ID.  However, a lot of times, when I create the external name, I use all 3 of my initials (whatever_clh.ztd).  Of course, with the external name, you have access to a lot more characters than just 8  :rofl

dr rick

:giggle :loveabove

in the real world it used to be RN or Dr N... but i was called Dr Rick in much of the Far East and liked it!

T'ni

this answers something i was thinking of doing. i was under the assumption that you had to have an 8 digit hex number for UCN but it seems i was wrong. just any 8 case insensitive alpha/numeric characters. (except toys need no digits).

i'll reserve TM for my 2 character prefix then.

this will make my little UCN organization project easier :)

dr rick

T'ni

oh rick, u'r so funny. How does it work, btw? hehe

dr rick

caddienoah

Jay...
Could I do that with the workbenches too?
Use at the beginning or end???
I wish all Peace, Love, Good Health, and Laughter

Jay

You can add "ByCaddienoah" to the end of your zoo file names. I do a similar thing to the ".ztd" files I create that contain graphics I created. I add "ByJay" to the end of the file names. These names do not need to be added in the above list. The above list is for things that are inside ".ztd" files, rather than for the ".ztd" or ".zoo" files themselves.

dr rick

is it ok for me to continue to use DrRxxx.ztd, or should i change to xxxByDrRick.ztd?

fern

Quote from: dr rick on November 18, 2013, 08:00:24 PM
is it ok for me to continue to use DrRxxx.ztd, or should i change to xxxByDrRick.ztd?
Stick with DrR as that is what people know for your files. I am not changing my fn tag. Jay and caddie do not release enough to warrent dreaming up a short version

Jay

It is okay to use DrR at the start of the file name. The reason I chose "ByJay" at the end of the file name instead of "Jay" at the front of the file name is because I feel people would look for object names rather than for a person's name. For example, if someone was looking in a folder for my cobblestone cliff walls, they would try finding them starting with "C" rather than starting with "J". They might not even remember I created them. At the same time, having my name as part of the ".ztd" name reduces the chances of conflict or confusion, in case someone else makes cobblestone cliff walls.

fern

Having said that, many people know that rick and genki have theirs at the beginning and would know to look through the gc and DrR files which after the tag would still be alphabetical.